Friday, 4 December 2009

Yoga notes

This morning I went to yoga class with my long time yoga teacher, Gail. She has so much knowledge and her classes are innovative and challenging - on one level or another. This morning there were 5 yoga teachers in her class as well as 8 or 9 students. Yoga teachers are attracted to some teachers more than others although I believe most of us will attend any class that is offered! There is always, always, something to learn.

Having had a stressful couple of weeks, I really benefited from the asana work and the meditations in this morning's session. It is strange how often a class seems tailored to my needs and this was no exception. Gail's teaching has influenced me a lot and I often hear her 'voice' in my own teaching. I probably do more sequences than she does and also my classes tend to evolve whereas Gail has a carefully set out plan.

Last Saturday was Yoga Day at the Beacon Ashram/Yoga Centre and I went along to that as well. We had a 2 hour practice followed by an exceedingly delicious vegetarian lunch. The class was taken by Marge Willcocks. I hadn't been to one of her classes before but had heard many good reports about her teaching. I was not disappointed - she is a wonderful teacher - I feel that I learned so much ... hope I remember some of it to pass on to my own students when I get back! We did Janusirasana which is a fairly sta
ndard asana but the way Marge teaches it, it was a new experience for me. Keeping the thigh on the bent leg 'rolled' out and closing the eyes while coming into the forward bend give the posture a whole new feeling. In fact, the illustration I've posted here does not do the asana justice because here, the model seems to be straining, and there is no strain involved.




No comments: