Friday, 24 September 2010

Listening to learn

I returned from the IYTA World Yoga Convention 'Re-Union in Yoga' after a full three days devoted to Yoga - starting at 6.45AM. Each day began with asana practice - and I learned some fabulous yoga asana to pass on to my students.

Listening
Most of the day was taken up with lectures given by the keynote speaker, Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi. Hearing the teachings once again brings a greater understanding. I find it fascinating that, each time I am exposed to this philosophy, my insights are different, possibly deeper? I believe that life experience is the catalyst to grasping the meanings. Topics included, Prana, the catalyst of re-union, Mantras, Integrative aspects of Yoga practice and many more.

Swami Gitananda Giri
Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani is a medical doctor as was his father, Swami Gitananda Giri aka The Lion of Pondicherry.
Dr. Swami Gitandanda was placed in his samadhi shrine at Sri Kambliswamy Madam, Pondicherry, on December 30th, 1993 age 87.  I love it that his mother was Irish!


Accompanying Dr. Ananda, his wife, Yogacharini Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani, participated in the convention.  At the banquet, Yogacharini Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani danced and Dr. Ananda sang. This was a special Carnatic concert. I had never heard Carnatic music before and was mesmerised, or should I say, the music is mesmerising.

Where does this place me now?  I'm working on committing to a schedule to write more frequently (not necessarily on this blog) and spend more time on the TYS course - without which background I feel I would have struggled with some of the concepts presented at the convention. I realised that my approach to the TYS course has probably been too academic and I need to bring myself in more consciously - difficult for me as the academy is so entrenched. I believe it is important to take the time to immerse in yoga, in as many of the 'limbs' as possible. Although I returned with a shocking cold, I felt cleared and recharged.

Finally, I have to include this photo of my dear friend and yoga colleague, Gail M. I took it at the banquet - by lucky chance!



No comments: